Friday, April 21, 2006

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program...

The very longsuffering Dr. Warson sent me an e-mail today reminding me that we have only 5 months left to do the book and I haven't sent him any more drafts since going to Equine Affaire.

I told him that things are indeed coming along, though I realize I've been out of touch for a bit. I was very disappointed that I didn't get a draft of the next chapter finished before heading to Columbus. I told him that an emergency (and highly unusual) ghostwriting & editing request had arisen on a project that was being quickly shepherded into production.

This has cut into the immediate work on our book, but our editors -- and bosses -- are aware of that. They offered an extension, but I told them I didn't think there'd be a need for that. This book is writing well and going smoothly, when not bumped by other projects. We should be fine.

I mentioned a few areas within the project that could use his input now, even before I finish a draft of the next chapter. For instance, something that would be quite useful is a "Back Health Assessment" questionnaire or checklist -- a sort of do-it-yourself, general analysis tool that readers can use to help identify strengths, weaknesses, potential problem areas, unsafe habits, and unhealthy practices. (Some days I wish I had such an assessment tool for my own selfish reasons...)

I also told him that the silver lining, if there is one, to this project that has taken precedence over all else is that -- in addition to a ghostwriter and editor -- It also needed a pinch-hitter photographer for 2 full chapters, and for a few holes in the rest of the book. I'm hoping that the photographer has reasonable rates, and would be willing to give us an estimate for shooting Dr. Warson's project later this summer.

Everything happens for a reason. Still searching dilligently for the raison d'etre of He Who Will Not Call.

In any case, I assured Dr. Warson that we would soon be back to our regularly scheduled show. Here's hoping he doesn't hold the break in programming against me...