Thursday, May 11, 2006

On Irons, Fires, Loose Ends, and Works in Progress

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from a consulting client responding to a variety of e-mails that had originated on my end over the past two months. It was nicely itemized. The client was checking in and providing an update on several different marketing projects, prospects, and possibilities.

What this means, of course, is that the ball for follow-up is now in my court. I'm pretty good at follow-up, in most cases. But I'm one of those people who actually does what I say I'll do. My client is the same way. I (rather stupidly) think that others will do the same. So, when people tell me they will do something, I'm not one to continuously bug them. And, perhaps, sometimes I should.

So, today, I'm going to bug a few people.

I'll go through the list of marketing prospects, and determine where I stand on each one in terms of follow-up on commitments. In other words, I've got to check all the irons I've got in the fire. I've got to try to tie up some loose ends, and earmark others for tying up soon. If at all possible, I hope to get that done in time to also finish up a work in progress for another client.

It's good to be busy. But every so often, it's necessary to take a day and tend to the fire irons...