Saturday, August 19, 2006

Here in Hawaii

Aloha!

I've found a wi-fi signal to piggyback on, and am happy to use it. Charles and I arrived here Wednesday around 7:00 p.m. Hawaiian time. After we got our luggage and met up with our host, we went to Dr. Warson's home and talked until I couldn't stay awake any longer. I'd been up since 3:30 a.m. By the time I got to bed, it was more than 25 hours later. I was beat.

Thursday and Friday were spent travelling all over the island scouting locations for the photo shoot. So many beautiful places to choose from. We've found many "favorites" that will do nicely for the shoot this weekend.

I've gone over the photo list and flagged the photos we need. With any luck, the shoot will progress as smoothly as the one in Dallas, and we'll have more than enough suitable pictures to choose from to illustrate the book.

We've been having great fun taking in the spectacular scenery of the island. At one of the spots we visited Friday, Charles said that he could happily sit all day with a camera looking for one perfect shot. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came back someday and allowed himself the luxury of doing just that.

Though we are in Paradise, enjoying each other's company, and having fun working on the book, the whole experience has given me a new appreciation for finding the right locations for an image. It's not as easy as it might seem at first blush. There are many factors -- ease of access, direction, available light, permission to shoot, vertical and horizontal sight lines, interfering structures and wires, and probability of people present, for instance -- to take into consideration. Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy...